Yet another mixtape! This one I made for a friend of mine whom I don’t know too well. Having absolutely no clue what kind of music he’s into, I didn’t really know what to do. This is the result. It didn’t turn out so great sound-wise. I assume some cable wasn’t plugged in correctly or whatever. And yes, I was too lazy to re-record it. The whole mixtape was recorded directly from vinyl records. I don’t own too many, but tried to be creative. That’s why this mixtape is so damn absurd. It’s called Bienenstrauß for no good reason. Enjoy.
1. Heino – Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuss (Excerpt)
Kind of an inside joke. Funny, right?
2. Atari Teenage Riot – Deutschland (Has Gotta Die)
Pretty much the exact opposite.
3. Magrudergrind – Esclavo De Salario
One of the best grind bands around.
4. Graf Orlock – Franky; Buying Dog Food
One of the funniest grind band around. Also one of the best. Will have an interview with Justin (horrible screams/guitar) up on this blog.
5. Goldust – Parasetic Dysfunction
One of Germany’s best hardcore bands right now.
6. Negative Standards – IX
Face-melting crust. Awesome.
7. Thou – By Endurance We Conquer
Summit is an absolute masterpiece.
8. Deafheaven – Tunnel Of Trees
Hipster black metal, I guess. I like it. Word on the street (as in: internet) has it they’re not the sharpest tools in the shed. Well.
9. Fall Of Efrafa – Warren Of Snares
Crushing. Doom? Crust? Post-Rock? Whatever, it’s great.
10. Locrian – The Crystal World
I have good memories with that one, running through Tokyo at night, listening to this.
11. Her Name Is Calla – Condor And River
Elegiac as fuck. One of the rare ones where they actually get pretty noisey, which I like.
12. Nadja – Long Dark Twenties
Trippy as hell, isn’t it? They rarely include vocals in their music, so I was pretty surprised about this song.
13. Boris – Floor Shaker
BEST BAND EVER, POSSIBLY BETTER THAN MUSIC IN GENERAL.
14. Japandroids – The House That Heaven Built
Springsteen’s guitar chords, Iron Maiden’s drumming, adolensce. Blends well. Who would’ve thought?
15. Jackson Pollock’s Action Painting – Dead End Blues #14
Heh. Promising German Post-Hardcore band from Hamburg.
15. Hot Water Music – Better Sense (Live)
Legends. Would have loved to see them live around ’98, but I still got this.
17. Against Me! – Baby, I’m An Anarchist
Sorry for the cracks and pops, that’s due to the condition of the record – No Idea releases some great music, but their vinyl quality sucks.
18. Self Defense Family – I’m Going Through Some Shit
Poetry or idiocy? Not sure. Still loving it to pieces.
19. Pygmy Lush – God Condition
One of my favourite albums ever. Don’t miss out!
20. Elliott Smith – Amity
There’s nothing to say about this one. It’s fucking Elliott Smith.
21. Xiu Xiu – Daphny
Off of his Fuck the Police 7″, which also contained a cover of Rihanna’s Only Girl In The World. Pretty weird, as usual with Xiu Xiu. Not his best though, have to admit that.
22. Zola Jesus – In Your Nature (David Lynch Remix)
When press people want to describe the atmosphere of sinister instrumental music, they will usually just write that it’s Lynch-esque. This is the man himself with a remix of one of Zola Jesus’ best tracks.
23. Animal Collective – On A Highway
Their Fall Be Kind EP is totally underrated. Whereas their latest album was completely overrated. What a coincidence.
24. Clams Casino – Treetop
25. Shlohmo – Wen Uuu 🙂
Worst track title ever. But who cares, really.
26. Four Tet – No More Mosquitos
I miss old Four Tet sometimes.
27. Bonobo – Kiara
I tried to avoid combining Bonobo with Four Tet, but it just fits perfectly. Sorry.
28. John Talabot – Oro Y Sangre
“The” house album of the “year”. Or whatever. Vinyl version is horrible, though. Lacks some tracks and DAMN, it’s quiet.
29. Pinch/Shackleton – Torn And Submerged
Wasn’t really sure about the entire album, but this track really got me. The bass is lethal, I swear.
30. Burial – Ashtray Wasp
His Kindred EP completely made up for the horrible collab with Four Tet.
31. Venetian Snares – Kétsarkú Mozgalom
Masterpiece, from front to back. Seriously. This album. Oh my.
32. Yaphet Kotto – Locked Groove
Yeah, well. Hope you enjoyed the tape.
Hearts & flowers.